Essential Utilities Publishes 2022 ESG Report: Achieves Supplier and Employee Diversity Targets, Highlights Strong Progress on Emissions Reduction Goals
New report notes key environmental, social and governance performance highlights
Highlights from the report include:
- Achieved Essential’s diverse supplier and employee commitments, ensuring the company’s team and business reflect the communities they serve1.
Reduced Scope 1 and Scope 2 greenhouse gas emissions by 25 percent from a 2019 baseline and against the goal of a 60 percent reduction by 2035.
- This is the equivalent of removing about 80,000 cars from the road each year.
Successfully shifted to nearly 100 percent renewable electricity procurement for its water and wastewater operations in
Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohioand Illinois.
- Reduced methane emissions through the company’s long-term infrastructure improvement goal to replace more than 3,000 miles of pipeline and spearheading innovative research on emissions-reducing energy technologies (through its natural gas segment, Peoples).
- Outperformed the national average for water quality by nearly five times (through its water segment, Aqua).
$4.5 millionin 2022 to more than 400 community organizations, primarily through the Essential Foundation.
- Volunteered for nearly 4,000 hours across a range of environmental and social causes.
“Providing clean, safe and reliable natural resources is our purpose. Making them affordable, sustainable and available to everyone is our business. With these ideals always in mind, we are committed to better -- and measurable -- outcomes for our environment, employees and the communities we serve," said
Hear more from
Essential releases comprehensive ESG reports every two years that track against key reporting frameworks and indices including
Operating as the Aqua and Peoples brands, Essential serves approximately 5.5 million people across 10 states. Essential is one of the most significant publicly traded water, wastewater service and natural gas providers in the
1 Essential’s 2022 ESG Report presents data as of 12/31/22, at which time the Company’s employee diversity was 16%. As of 6/30/23, this figure increased to 17%, matching the employee diversity commitment. While not reflected in the 2022 ESG Report, this new figure is reflected in the Company’s “Measuring Progress Towards Our Targets” tracker on its ESG microsite.
Vice President, Communications
Media Hotline: 1.877.325.3477
Vice President, IR and Treasurer